The American School of Guatemala is an independent, non-profit, non-denominational, college preparatory institution that offers a rigorous academic program modeled after the best educational practices and methodologies of the United States of America. ASG is founded on the principles of a co-educational, bi-cultural (Guatemala-United States), bilingual (Spanish-English) program. It serves the Guatemalan community and other families who value a holistic approach to education. Respect for religious, political, social, and cultural diversity is a fundamental part of the school’s identity.
ASG is fully accredited in the U.S. by the New England Association of Colleges and Schools and is recognized by the Guatemalan Ministry of Education as a Laboratory School. As a member of the Del Valle Grupo Educativo, ASG is actively committed to the development of education in Guatemala.
The mission of the American School of Guatemala is to empower its students to achieve their full potential and to inspire them to lead meaningful lives as responsible members of a global society.
Fulfillment of ASG’s Mission
In fulfilling its mission, the School provides students with the opportunity to:
- Be actively engaged in, and responsible for, their own learning.
- Be prepared to continue their studies in universities in Guatemala, the United States, or other countries.
- Acquire the skills essential for fluency in speaking, reading, writing and communicating in both English and Spanish.
- Develop systems thinking, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills which will enable them to analyze, synthesize and apply information,
- Acquire competencies in the use of technology which will allow them to access resources and communicate in a useful and
- Develop an appreciation of and love for reflective learning which will encourage them to become self-motivated, life-long learners.
- Strengthen positive character traits and ethical values in order to contribute actively and conscientiously to the local and global communities.
- Exhibit a sense of environmental awareness and responsibility.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and appreciation for cultural diversity.
- Enhance their creativity and talents through participation in a variety of curricular and extracurricular activities such as sports, music and visual/performing arts.
- Develop habits and attitudes conducive to physical and emotional well-being.
- Interact with highly qualified faculty who facilitate the process of constructing knowledge and achieving understanding within the context of a student centered learning environment.
We believe that:
- our students, as individuals, have unique intellectual, social, emotional and physical characteristics and needs;
- all students can learn and they learn most effectively when they are actively engaged in the learning process, when they are faced with challenging expectations and when they are held to clearly defined standards of excellence;
- learning should take place within a physically and psychologically safe environment;
- all members of the school community, which includes faculty, staff, parents, and students, share the responsibility for accomplishing our mission;
- continuous improvement is essential to providing quality educational opportunities for our students.
Vision for the Future
Building upon its tradition of excellence, the American School of Guatemala will:
- Employ innovative and effective student-centered, research-based practices in education and the use of technology consistently across all sections and subject areas,
- Broaden the scope of its commitment to Guatemalan education.